Our Industry Expertise Powers Your Energy Projects
Our energy services offerings for power delivery (T&D) and distributed generation include substation engineering, power systems analysis, and plant system design and maintenance solutions. Focused on medium and high-voltage applications up to 345kV, our seasoned staff brings a wealth of project and system experience to develop safe, comprehensive solutions.
Energy News, Success Stories & Insights
An Experienced Team of Energy Experts
Dennis Hill brings more than 30 years of electrical engineering experience in the design, analysis, startup/commissioning support, and operation of power and control systems for utilities and industrial facilities up to 230kV. He is a professional engineer, holding a B.S. in electrical engineering from Cleveland State University. Hill is certified in PowerSafe Generation Safety, is an Executive member of the IEEE Electrical Safety Committee and is an NFPA 70E Low and Medium Voltage Trainer.
Patrick Chmura has more than 30 years of electrical engineering experience in electrical design and evaluation of power distribution and control systems for the electrical generation, chemical, refining, and beverage industries. He specializes in protective device coordination, load flow, motor starting, and arc flash studies of power distribution systems utilizing ETAP, SKM PowerTools and EasyPower. Chmura holds a B.S. in electrical engineering from Cleveland State University and is a registered Ohio E.I.T.
Marty Ellman has 35 years of power and energy engineering and consulting experience. He is a registered professional engineer, certified energy manager (CEM), and distributed generation certified professional (DGCP), specializing in power systems, control systems, utility substation design, transmission, power generation, power distribution, cogeneration, SCADA data acquisition systems, and facility PLC/DCS systems. He earned a B.S. in electrical engineering from Cleveland State University, is NCEES certified, holds memberships in AEE, CCPI and AREDI, and is the former Energy Division Chair of the Cleveland Engineering Society.
Senior Project Manager
Tim Hoekenga has more than 15 years of experience in the electrical engineering and consulting industry managing multi-discipline teams through highly complex energy projects. Hoekenga is a professional engineer and holds a B.S. in electrical engineering from the University of Wisconsin. He is NCEES certified and is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Energy Projects & Services
Transmission & Distribution (T&D)
Our team has designed hundreds of utility substation and transmission projects providing multi-discipline solutions for grid modernization programs. Focused on reliability, resilience, and infrastructure hardening, our engineers bring decades of experience to help our clients meet their performance goals.
What We Deliver
- Greenﬁeld Substations (138KV and below)
- Brownﬁeld Substation Upgrades (345KV and below)
- Ring Bus Additions
- Circuit Breaker Replacements & Additions
- Transformer Replacements & Additions
- Protection Replacements (Relay Panel, RTAC, RTU, SCADA)
- Capacitor Bank Additions
- Transmission Lines (138KV and below)
- Protection & Control Development
- Single Line, Schematic, & Wiring Diagram Design
- Substation Layout & Physical Design
- Site Civil, Structural Foundation, & Bus Structure Design
- Ground Grid & Lightning Protection Design
- Capacity Assessments & Upgrade Design
- Transmission Pole Line Design (138KV and below)
- Underground Transmission Design (138KV and below)
Nexus maintains significant experience for existing and next-generation power plants, providing engineering services that accommodate the entire project cycle, from planning through development, engineering, construction and commissioning. Finding the right solution to meet operational, performance and financial objectives is integral to project success.
What We Deliver
- Fossil Fuel Plant Upgrades & Maintenance
- Combined Heat & Power (CHP) to 100MW
- Biogas Generation
- Balance of Plant
- Wind Turbine Generation
- Solar Generation
- General Arrangement Development
- Process PFD & P&ID Development
- Mechanical System Design & Equipment Speciﬁcation
- Process Piping 3D Design & Isometrics
- Civil & Structural Design
- Electrical System Design
- Instrumentation & Control
- NERC Compliance
Power Delivery & Analysis
Nexus uses the latest computer modeling software to provide comprehensive power distribution system analysis, including system protection and equipment design solutions. Our team’s extensive industrial substation experience includes full facility upgrades and capacity additions.
What We Deliver
- Power Distribution Systems (69KV, 34.5KV, 15KV and below)
- Electrical Equipment Upgrades & Additions
- Protective Device Upgrades & Additions
- SCADA System Upgrades & Additions
- Single Line Diagram Development
- Electrical Equipment Speciﬁcation
- Computer Modeling, Load Flow, Load Analyzer, Voltage Proﬁles
- Short Circuit Analysis & Device Evaluation
- Protection: Selectivity, Coordination, Relay Programming & Set-up
- Motor Starting, Transient Stability, Acceleration Analysis
- Harmonic Screening, DC Systems Analysis
- Arc Flash Analysis & Mitigation
- Distribution System Physical Design
- System Grounding & Earthing Design
- Fiber & Ethernet Network Development
Distributed Energy Resources (DER) address a range of challenges including efficiency, reliability, power quality and load balancing for on-site power facilities. With the addition of energy storage, renewable generation, and microgrids to utility, industrial, and institutional power grids, Nexus engineers implement energy technology current best practices that are consistent with energy forecasts, policies, and sustainability initiatives.
What We Deliver
- Microgrid Development & Design
- Emergency Power
- Generators, Boilers, HRSG’s
- Steam & Hot Water Systems
- Chilled Water Systems
- Energy Storage
- Uninterruptible Power
- Waste Heat to Energy
- Compressor Stations & Pipelines
- Fuel Storage & Distribution
- Wind & Solar Generation
- Electrical System Development & Design
- Process System Development & Design
- Mechanical, Civil, Structural Design
- Control System Architecture Development
Ready to Make a Connection?
Tell us more about your power and energy needs and how to reach you.
A team member will be in touch to discuss how Nexus can help.